2021 Specialized S-Works Epic Hardtail Mountain Bike
Lightweight alone doesn’t equal speed, especially off-road, so with the S-Works Epic Hardtail Mountain Bike Specialized has concentrated on making the bike both race-fast and trail-capable at the same time. This means that whilst multiple XC victories are inevitable, it is also a bike that can take tough, technical routes in its stride.
The new FACT 12m carbon used in the frame provides both stiffness and compliance where needed whilst still being insanely light. RockShox’ SID SL Ultimate Brain fork complements this efficiency with 100mm of highly tuneable, controlled travel to bring control and grip to the front end whether aiming for the podium or heading for the hills.
In keeping with the S-Works Epic’s brief, the 29” carbon Roval Control SL wheels weigh just 1,240 grams for the pair, which would be very impressive for a road wheelset let alone one designed for off-road use. Both the wheels and Specialized Fast Trak tyres are tubeless-ready, so can be easily converted for use without tubes for running at lower pressures without the risk of pinch punctures.
Fittingly futuristic, SRAM’s 12-speed XX1 Eagle AXS is electronic and fully wireless, so there are no cables to stretch or get sticky and dirty so shifting remains light, easy and accurate. An AXS app connects to the system for battery information and customisation options, including the possibility of adding the AXS dropper seatpost to the controls. For better training and more measured racing, the crankset includes a Quarq XX1 Eagle power meter, underlining the bike’s competition credentials.
Level Ultimate hydraulic disc brakes from SRAM and Specialized Body Geometry carbon seatpost, handlebar and saddle finish the build for a bike that can win races straight out of the box.
- Frame: Specialized S-Works FACT 12m, XC Geometry, Rider-First Engineered™, threaded BB, 12x148mm rear spacing, internal cable routing
- Fork: RockShox SID SL Ultimate Brain, Top-Adjust Brain damper, DebonAir, 15x110mm, 44mm offset, 100mm travel
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM DUB, BSA 73mm, Threaded
- Stem: Specialized S-Works SL, alloy, titanium bolts, 6-degree rise
- Handlebar: Specialized S-Works Carbon XC Mini Rise, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 10mm rise, 760mm, 31.8mm
- Grips: Specialized Trail Grips
- Front Brake: SRAM Level Ultimate, 2-piston caliper, hydraulic disc
- Rear Brake: SRAM Level Ultimate, 2-piston caliper, hydraulic disc
- Brake Levers: SRAM Level Ultimate, 2-piston caliper, hydraulic disc
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS 12-speed
- Shift Levers: SRAM AXS Eagle Controller
- Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle
- Cassette: SRAM XG-1299 Eagle, 10-50t
- Crankset: Quarq XX1 Eagle Power Meter, Boost™ 148, DUB, 170/175mm, 32t
- Front Wheel: Roval Control SL, DT Swiss Internals, Ceramic Bearings, 6-bolt, 15mm thru-axle, 110mm spacing, Torque caps hub with Roval Control SL, Carbon offset design, 29mm internal width, 4mm hook width, tubeless-ready 24h rim and straight-pull DT Swiss Aerolite T-head spokes
- Rear Wheel: Roval Control SL, DT Swiss 180 Internals, DT Swiss Ratchet EXP, Ceramic bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing hub with Roval Control SL, Carbon offset design, 29mm internal width, 4mm hook width, tubeless-ready 24h rim and straight-pull DT Swiss Aerolite T-head spokes
- Front Tyre: Specialized Fast Trak, Control casing, GRIPTON® compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3" clincher
- Rear Tyre: Specialized Fast Trak, Control casing, GRIPTON® compound, 60 TPI, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3" clincher
- Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry S-Works Power, carbon fibre rails, carbon fibre base, 143mm
- Seatpost: Specialized S-Works FACT carbon, 10mm setback, 30.9mm
- Pedals: Available to be purchased separately
- Accessories: SWAT EMT Cage-Mount Tool